Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Columcille

IMG_8915



Well, it's September, and we've been incredibly busy with moving back to New York, starting my job and Ryan's school back up, and resettling into everything again. Shortly after unpacking and sorting, we traipsed over to Nazareth, PA to visit Ryan's aunt and uncle. I wanted to start off my photos back in the states with a bang, and this trip was perfect. The countryside is so gorgeous and refreshing after even just a week in Manhattan, and we were able to explore to our heart's content.

While researching nearby points of interest I stumbled upon the most interesting sounding place- Columcille Monolith Park. Back in the day a dude visited Ireland and was struck by the pagan stones. He came home and had dreams the stones in Pennsylvania were begging him to set them up and shape them spiritual formations. So he made this park, and extended an invitation for all lost spirits without a resting place to dwell here, with all the stones. It was such a cool place to visit- I had no idea there was anything like this in America.

IMG_8917

After reading about the park my interest was piqued to a max and I was itching to get out there and explore this little world, and hopefully photograph it in a way that could communicate it's strangeness, peace, and subtle ominousness. I had a pretty clear idea of how I wanted these photos to turn out, and the haunting stillness I wanted them to exude, but I had a hard time communicating to Ryan exactly what I had in my head and what I meant. We had to take a few before things were turning out more to my idealized ineffable imaginings, and poor Ryan had to put up with taking the 'same photo' about a dozen times. Bless him- I couldn't have lugged our huge tripod around the park by myself and gotten the same shots- especially since it was a park, and there were other people. Thanks Ryan!

IMG_9041

IMG_9036

IMG_8934

IMG_8985

IMG_9020

IMG_8972

IMG_8861

IMG_8838

IMG_8850

IMG_8835

IMG_8882

IMG_8875

IMG_8885

IMG_8893

IMG_8894

18 comments:

  1. These are such beautiful pictures! I love their strangene and eeriness. That sounds like a great place to get lost in!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing photos! amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos! I love all your different poses :)

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome photos! I especially love the first one. Hope moving and settling in is still going well for you. :)

    -Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, i think i know where i am going this weekend. i don't have anything else to do and this place looks amazing. let's see if i am brace enough to actually go and set my tripod up :D i can't believe you are back - at first i thought this was japan and was surprised to see it was like an hour and 45 minutes from me! uhm yes! your photos are beautiful - i love the ones of you in the grass! they remind me of summer as a teenager and laying in my neighbors grass. and that dress is just too cute to be true. i love the neckline especially

    <3 katherine
    of corgis and cocktails

    ReplyDelete
  6. what beautiful photos. I love your dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too thought these were from Japan! What a treat to see they are right here in the good ole US of A! The pictures are beautiful, love the piled stones and the story behind them. The grass pictures look like they are straight out of a story book, so pretty. Good luck getting back into the swing of things and welcome back!
    xo Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  8. welcome back to nyc! we should meet up again some time this fall. the botanical gardens will have amazing foliage come fall. this park and your photos are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These pictures are all so gorgeous and perfect! You look amazing in your beautiful dress too. Such a great place to take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi there =) i found your blog yesterday and i just love it so much! i'm japanese girl who live in London/uk with my husband *^^* i saw many many photo of you in japan, love it! were you living in Japan? did you have nice time there? i love and miss japan so much =) i love your photo and your style <3 i'm looking forward to see your future post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello!

    I borrowed one of your photos from an older post for a "August favourites roundup" over at my blog (of course I linked back to you). Hope that's okay for you?

    Just wanted to let you know :)

    You can see it here if you like:

    http://badtastetoasttoast.blogspot.de/2012/09/summing-up-favourites-18-august-2012.html

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you had so many great pictures in Japan, but these might actually be better. - Leah

    leahwise.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! What an amazing place & such magical pictures....

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're adorable and your photographs are so dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kathryn. these are amazing. really, really amazing. And the order you put them in! those last few! your eyes open! Great job K and R!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i know what it’s like when you’re out with someone and you have to try & communicate an idea that you have in mind for a photo because what they have in mind is never going to be the same as what i can see, and that’s if they care enough to have their own idea in the first place. nevertheless, these are beautiful! :)

    little henry lee

    ReplyDelete